Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Homestead Update

After a miserable spring with 3 late season frosts that killed off 50 of my tomato plants, spring or more appropriately summer, has hit the Bluegrass.  The garden is finally taking off and the ducks are huge now.  I expect them to start laying around July 4th.  The chickens are WAY too demanding with their free-range time and have warn a path around the neighborhood.  We now have several neighbors/friends dropping off their kitchen scraps throughout the week so to say my "girls" are spoiled is an understatement.  Egg production has slacked a bit due to rising temperatures.  The girls definitely tolerate the cold better than the heat. Below are a few pics of the girls roaming the neighborhood.  I usually just let them out in the evening while the kids and I are out and then they wander back at dusk.



Grass...YUM

My sweet hubby helped me fix my single rain barrel.  We bummed some cinderblocks that the neighbor wasn't using anymore, leveled the ground more and now its tall enough for me to fit a bucket under.  The pressure out of the hose is better also, since its higher.

We also had to cut the existing gutter and attach a flexible hose 


Garden and Duck update


Also, in case you missed it, the girls were the lead photo on the Chive's Daily Morning Awesomeness yesterday: http://thechive.com/2013/06/03/daily-morning-awesomeness-45-photos-12/.  Please ignore all the other crap on that website but I thought it was funny that the girls were the lead photo.  They are famous!

No comments: