Tuesday, October 13, 2009

7 Months home

Can't believe the girls have been home for 7 months. They have changed so much in the last 7 months. Everyone asks us how they have adjusted and the answer is always amazingly well. They spoke English pretty well after 3 months home. We still have trouble with certain sounds like "v" and "f" and pronouns are confusing, but I'm finding they are pretty confusing for most 4 year olds. They are now picky eaters, just like every other 4 year old as well. They love fresh fruits and vegetables but today would not eat fresh tomatoes or peppers. Tomorrow, they probably will, just because its a new day. They are not attending pre-school this year. We tried to get them into our local early learning center but were told they did not qualify because their only need was language acquisition and that would come in time, and it has. So they are home with me during the days and when I have to do home visits with other families, we have some great sitters that come to the house to play. One of the advantages of living in Wilmore is being so close to Asbury College-great babysitters. Most days I enjoy being home with the girls, although balancing working from home and entertaining 4 year olds has been challenging. But I remind myself that they will be heading to kindergarten next year so I need to cherish this time I have with them. Below is the view out our front window every morning when Ababa leaves for work. The girls have really bonded with Matt in the last few months and question him every morning on why he has to go to work AGAIN. He has to wave all the way out of our street or the girls get very upset.

Many people have commented on how happy our girls seem in all the pictures. I usually joke and say that's because I take 200 pictures a day and post the 4 best ones. But the truth is, they are usually very happy. Essie has been fighting a cold this past week and one morning I heard her waking up in her room whistling in between coughing spells. She really is one of the happiest kids I know. She also loves to make people laugh. Chloe is our drama queen and loves to mock people or relay stories about other people to get a laugh. *I have no idea where she gets this. =)* They both love to sing and dance and play their musical instruments. They also love when mommy's clients come over to the house because they 1) get to watch a movie while mommy talks with her "friends" and 2) they then get to entertain our guests. This arrangement has so far worked out well minus a few embarrassing moments (see previous posts). They have also been wonderful ambassadors for adoption and specifically adoption of older children and of children from Ethiopia. Every night, I go to bed completely exhausted, but feeling completely blessed to be able to call these girls my daughters.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for the update. The girls are precious!!!

Josh McCallister said...

What a beautiful testimony! I'm so happy for you guys!

Candace Nisbett McCallister

Anonymous said...

Aaawwww- good recap of the last 7 months...
kel

Jen said...

Ok, did you want me to cry. I'm right there with you. How exhausting but what a blessing!!!

Jen said...

Ok, did you want me to cry. I'm right there with you. How exhausting but what a blessing!!!