Monday, November 11, 2013

The Shed Project

Sorry for the lapse in posts.  Its been a busy couple of weeks.  The shed project has been several months in the making.  It started back in June when our next door neighbors got evicted (again, unfortunately, not the first time). I struck up a conversation with the landlord and told him the shed out back was rotting and he said he'd get it torn down.  After I looked it over, I realized, though the bottom edges and front were rotten, the main structure seemed decent.  Matt has been looking for a shed to do his woodworking in, but a new shed is not in the budget.  My family was here visiting about the same time and bored brother-in-laws like a project.

First the boys had to unearth the shed and remove the vegetation.

The men folk formulating a plan

The kids getting to work removing the junk left in the shed

The Peanut Gallery assembling to give directions

Cutting holes in the floor to access the skids

My Dad's surgeon would have blown a gasket if he'd seen him "supervising".

The Peanut gallery expands in size

My brother-in-law was more than ready to use his suburban to drag the shed across the yard.

We first dragged it forward and then rearranged the chains to drag it into place.

Getting it lined up on blocks

Fast forward to November & we finally got some time to work on fixing up the shed.

We had to first remove the lower 2 feet of rotten boards

We set the girls to removing about a thousand nails

The front of the shed was pretty much rotten so we removed all of it. Here I'm showing the girls how grunting helps you rip press board off of sheds.

Chloe still working on those nails

Then she decided that since Mom tore off a piece with her bare hands, she could too.

After not making much progress, she called for some reinforcements.

Twin power!

Apparently whenever power tools are involved, you draw a crowd.

So we put them to work

The boys giving it a try

The girls loved using the chalk line

Matt's Uncle Ron was in town for a few days & lended a much needed hand

The men ended up working into the night

Another work day-the kids lent a hand painting.

New press board going up!

Doors being put together

Sanding a bit off the bottom to make new doors fit old shed

Floor reinforced

And a shelf along the back wall to hold my gardening supplies
*UPDATE-my sister Kelly keenly questioned the addition of the shelf for garden supplies when this was supposed to be Matt's woodworking shed.  In the end, we realized that Matt needs more space for his projects and I just need somewhere to store gardening and farming supplies.  Granted this shed is farther away from the garden but we aren't moving it again so I'll just have to walk a few more steps each day. 

No siding yet but hopefully by spring!

No comments: