Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chicken Update

I know its been a while since we've posted, but life just keeps truckin' on.  If you don't care about my chickens, then skip this post because its all about the chickens.

I lost one of my chickens on Sunday night to what I think was an Opossum.  At least from the research Matt did on the computer, that's probably what it was, based on what was left of the carcass.  I'm not going to post the video of what I found on Monday morning, but if you want to see it, check out my YouTube channel. Warning: It's pretty graphic! The whole thing was my own dumb fault because I didn't shut the door to the run that goes out to the garden and I think the varmint just crawled in under the wire in the garden (like the rabbit did the other day) and walked right up the shoot into the chicken coop/run. My own fault and I payed the price by loosing one of my chickens.  The only positive is I think it was the one that looked like it was a rooster, not a hen.  It was the same one that Caesar had gotten as a chick so it was a bit delayed.  I had named it "Lucky", which at the time, I was pretty sure I'd doomed the poor thing.  Guess its luck ran out.  The other hens were all o.k. though so I think he/she died protecting the rest of the flock. My Dad just called me to say he'd lost one of his hens and a pullet last night and he thinks it was an opossum too so they must be on the prowl right now (especially since my dad lives 7 hours away).

On a more positive note, here are some videos of the girls.  The first one I took on Sunday, so you'll see "Lucky" at the end





No comments: