Sunday, September 30, 2007

Believe in Top 10 Rankings

So let's take a break from the adoption stagnation to relish in a rare opportunity for me. The last time the Kentucky football team was ranked in the Top 10 was 1977...the same year my parents were married...two years before I was born. This afternoon I find that my Wildcats are ranked #8 in the nation.

Now, to appreciate this, you have to understand the long-suffering life of the UK football fan. The first game I ever listened to on the radio, Florida scored with :28 left to beat the Cats 24-20. (The last time Kentucky beat Florida I was ten.) Amy and I were present at a game where LSU scored with :08 left to win and the next year we watched on TV as LSU scored on a 70-yard hail mary as time expired to win again. The next year we were present again when Kentucky blew a 21-3 Fourth Quarter lead against Florida, who we still have not beaten since I was ten. In college I went in to take a standardized test with UK leading Tennessee 21-0 only to come out an find that we had lost 35-31. (UK hasn't beaten Tennessee since I was five.) I have sworn for years that Commonwealth Stadium is built on an Indian burial ground. In the 1993 Peach Bowl UK's top defensive player made an interception at the goal line to win the game, only to fumble it as he tried to run it back...Clemson scored and we lost 14-13. (Until last year Kentucky hadn't won a bowl game since I was five.)

When Kentucky hired Rich Brooks, I was skeptical, but after a couple of years, even though UK fans were hollering for him to be fired ("Ditch Rich" bumper stickers), I was starting to believe. Then last year we won the Music City Bowl, and now we have won 10 of the last 11, snapping a 10-year losing streak to Georgia and a 4-year losing streak to Louisville in the process. We have a record-breaking Heisman trophy candidate at quarterback in Andre' Woodson. And we're 5-0 and ranked #8 in the nation.

So you can see why I'm taking time to relish in my team's good fortune. However, the season is far from over...we have a murderer's row coming up against South Carolina (Kentucky has never beaten a Spurrier-coached team), LSU (#1 in the nation), and Florida (who we still haven't beaten since I was ten). Then we finish the season with Georgia and Tennessee (who we still haven't beaten since I was five). But this is a year for breaking streaks. And I'm enjoying every minute of it.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi!
First, I stumbled upon your blog and have enjoyed reading of your journey. May your journey soon come to a happy ending for your family. My family recently went through 2 years on a very difficult adoption from Ethiopia and I know the relief we felt when we finally brought our kids home. There's no feeling quite like it. Hang in there. :)

Secondly, could you possibly email me the info for the organization you are using. And could you let me know if you would recommend them, if the delays you are experiencing are the fault of the organization, how they are handling the delays, etc. Any information you could offer would be most helpful.

Thank you!
Heather